Nursing Home Neglect
Warning Signs of Abuse or Neglect in a Nursing Home
Neglect and abuse in nursing homes are more common than any of us would like to believe. Unfortunately, many elderly residents do not complain about issues with their care, even following a serious injury. It is often the family members who first notice that something is not right.
At Steinberg Goodman & Kalish, our lawyers represent nursing home residents in Chicago and throughout Illinois who suffer injuries while in nursing home care. The following are some of the warnings signs of neglect or abuse:
- Falls: Falls may be due to medication errors, failure to assist the patient or defective equipment.
- Bedsores: Bedsores can only occur when an immobile resident is not repositioned periodically.
- Unexplained injuries: When a resident suffers an injury, it’s important to understand how it happened. It may be due to neglect or abuse.
- Unexplained fears: Does your family member seem fearful of staff members? If so, he or she may be fearful of retaliation.
- Unexplained weight loss: Your loved one may be suffering from malnutrition.
- Dehydration: Many elderly people have a diminished sense of thirst and may not drink enough liquids on their own.
- Emergency hospitalization: Sometimes issues with a resident’s care do not rise to the surface unless he or she is hospitalized with a serious health condition.
If you notice any issues with your family member’s care, you should discuss them with the nursing home staff. If you are not satisfied with the answers you receive, contact one of our nursing home negligence attorneys for help.