Chicago Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Unfortunately, nursing home abuse and nursing home neglect have become all too common. Many nursing home staff members are underpaid and lack the necessary training, resulting in inadequate and subpar care. If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or nursing home neglect in Chicago or its surrounding area, our nursing home abuse attorneys can help.
Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse occurs when a caretaker intentionally causes pain, harm, or suffering. Nursing home abuse includes physical abuse, sexual abuse and emotional abuse:
- Physical abuse: This form of nursing home abuse includes slapping, hitting, scratching, shoving, force-feeding, and excessive forms of restraint.
- Sexual abuse: This form of nursing home abuse includes sexual assault or battery, inappropriate touching, or any nonconsensual sexual activity.
- Emotional abuse: This form of nursing home abuse can be verbal or nonverbal and includes threatening, scolding, cursing, ignoring, humiliating, or intimidating a resident.
If your loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse in Chicago or the surrounding area, contact our nursing home abuse attorneys today. We can provide legal guidance and help you pursue compensation on behalf of your loved one.
What are the signs of nursing home abuse?
There are several signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse, including, but not limited to:
- Bruises, welts, lacerations, cuts, or open wounds
- Broken or fractured bones
- Signs of being restrained
- Sudden changes in behavior
Identifying the signs of nursing home abuse requires careful observation. Many residents have a limited capacity to communicate, so it is important to visit the residence frequently and at different times of the day. If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from nursing home abuse in the Chicago area, do not hesitate to contact our Chicago nursing home abuse attorneys to discuss your concerns.
Nursing Home Neglect
Nursing home neglect occurs when a caretaker fails to fulfill his or her duty to a resident. Nursing home neglect includes physical neglect, medical neglect, and failure to prevent and assist:
- Physical neglect: This form of nursing home neglect includes poor bathing techniques, lack of toileting, and incorrect body positioning.
- Medical neglect: This form of nursing home neglect includes a failure to provide appropriate medical care, poor access to medical aid, and the administration of improper medication.
- Failure to prevent and assist: This form of nursing home neglect includes a failure to assist the resident in eating, drinking, bathing, or toileting, ignoring cries for help, and isolation.
If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from nursing home neglect in and around the Chicago area, contact our Chicago nursing home neglect lawyers today.
What are the signs of nursing home neglect?
There are several signs and symptoms of nursing home neglect, including, but not limited to:
- Loss of weight
- Bedsores or pressure sores
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Poor hygiene
- Untreated health problems
- Unsanitary living conditions
If you have witnessed the symptoms of nursing home neglect in your loved one or in another resident of the facility, contact the Chicago nursing home abuse attorneys of Steinberg Goodman & Kalish today.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect FAQs
Learn more about nursing home abuse and nursing home neglect below. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Chicago law firm of Steinberg Goodman & Kalish.
Q: Who do I call if I suspect nursing home abuse or neglect?
A: If you suspect that your loved one is in immediate danger, call the police right away. If there is no immediate danger, but you suspect nursing home abuse or nursing home neglect has occurred, you can alert your state’s ombudsman, the Department of Public Health, or the administrator of the facility. Finally, you should contact the Chicago nursing home abuse attorneys of Steinberg Goodman & Kalish. We can advise you of your rights and ensure that your loved one is removed from danger.
Q: Are there other forms of elder abuse besides nursing home abuse and neglect?
A: Yes, there are other forms of elder abuse, including abandonment and financial exploitation. All forms of elder abuse should be taken seriously and reported immediately.
If you or your loved one has suffered the effects of nursing home neglect or nursing home abuse in Chicago, Illinois, contact our Chicago nursing home neglect lawyers to schedule a consultation and begin your case. To protect your right to file a claim, we urge you to retain our legal counsel as soon as possible.