Personal injury accidents – or torts – cover a wide variety of accidents. The following are some of the more common types of personal injury cases:
- Auto accidents. Millions auto accidents happen every year, making them one of the most common types of personal injury accidents. In fact, in 2012, there more than 2,362,000 injuries and 33,561 fatalities caused by motor vehicle accidents. Car accident victims may be able to recover compensation from a negligent motorist in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Slip and fall accidents. Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries in the United States, resulting in approximately 8.9 million emergency department visits each year. If a slip and fall accident happens on the property of another, the property owner could be liable for the resulting injuries.
- Medical errors. Medical negligence is the third leading cause of death, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), just behind heart disease and cancer. In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for Health and Human Services said medical negligence contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year. But the latest numbers indicate between 210,000 and 440,000 patients die each year due to some type of preventable harm.
- Defective products. Pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and other products can be unsafe or defective, resulting in serious injuries or death. If a person is injured or killed as a result of a dangerous or defective product, he or she could recover money damages from the product manufacturer.
- Workplace accidents. Each year, thousands of workers are killed and millions of workers are injured in work-related accidents. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, the injured worker could be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, as well as personal injury damages.
At Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish, our Chicago personal injury lawyers represent plaintiffs injured in a wide variety of accidents involving negligence. We can help you find the appropriate medical attention, conduct a factual investigation of the accident, file the necessary legal documents, and advocate on your behalf to get you a full and fair personal injury damage award. Contact our office at (312) 445-9084 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Chicago personal injury lawyers. Additional Information:
- When to Accept Insurance Settlement and When to Sue
- Everything You Need to Know about Negligence, Torts, and Personal Injury
- 10 Facts about Medical Malpractice
Steinberg Goodman & Kalish (www.sgklawyers.com) is dedicated to protecting victims and their families. We handle medical malpractice, product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, auto accidents, professional negligence, birth trauma, and railroad law matters. Contact us at (888) 325-7299 or (312) 445-9084.