If you or a loved one was involved in a personal injury accident, you are probably hurt, angry, and confused. You are probably wondering whether you have a legal claim, how to obtain financial recovery, and what to do next. It is highly recommended that you consult with a personal injury lawyer to learn more about your legal rights and options. Before hiring a personal injury lawyer or choosing your next steps, you should ask the following questions:
- What is your legal experience? You will want to hire a lawyer that has knowledge and experience with your specific type of case. Make sure to find out what types of cases the lawyer focuses on and ask about his or her track record with your type of case. You should also ask the lawyer to provide references from prior clients.
- What is the lawyer’s case load? While you want a lawyer with the necessary experience, you do not want a lawyer who is so overworked that he or she does not have adequate time or resources to handle your case.
- What is the fee arrangement? Most personal injury lawyers, including the Chicago personal injury lawyers at Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish use a contingency fee arrangement, which means that you don’t pay unless you collect money damages. You should make sure that the attorney does, in fact, use a contingency fee arrangement and, if so, whether there are any additional incidental fees for things like court filing fees, copies, and postage.
- When do I need to file a claim? Each legal claim has a statute of limitations, or time limit, during which the case can be filed and you will want to find out what the statute of limitations is for your case so that you can preserve your right to financial compensation.
- What are possible damages? While no attorney should make specific promises or guarantees of recovery, you may want to find out about possible money damages in light of the facts of your case, in order to determine how to proceed.
- What information is needed? Make sure to find out what documentation and information the lawyer will need from you in order to proceed. In many cases, a personal injury lawyer will need medical records, accident reports, and employment information in order to conduct a complete assessment and to file a legal claim. By finding out what information is necessary as soon as possible, you can begin the process of document collection and minimize the risk of lost evidence.
The personal injury lawyers at Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish are dedicated to helping clients in and around Chicago deal with the aftermath of a personal injury accident. We are committed to protecting the rights of personal injury accidents and helping clients obtain maximum compensation for their injuries. If you or a loved one was involved in a personal injury accident, contact Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish at (312) 782-1386 to schedule a free consultation to learn more about a possible personal injury claim. Steinberg Goodman & Kalish (www.sgklawyers.com) is dedicated to protecting victims and their families. We handle medical malpractice, product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, auto accidents, professional negligence, birth trauma, and railroad law matters. Contact us at(800) 784-0150 or (312) 782-1386.