When clients come to us after an accident or injury, they often have a number of questions about their legal rights and what happens in a personal injury lawsuit. While each personal injury case is unique, and there are no guarantees about the way the case will play out, the following is a general description of what happens in a personal injury lawsuit.
- After a client comes to us, we will conduct an initial consultation during which we will gather preliminary information. If the case appears to have merit, a thorough investigation will be conducted, including a review of accident records and interviews with potential witnesses.
- If, following the factual investigation, the plaintiff’s claim has merit, a Complaint will be filed in the appropriate court of law and the defendant will be served with the Complaint.
- Thereafter, the defendant will have an opportunity to file an Answer to the Complaint. Thereafter, a formal discovery schedule will be created. The discovery process includes interrogatories, the production of requested documents, and depositions of the parties and their witnesses. Depending on the complexity of the case, the discovery process can take several months to complete.
- Once discovery is complete, the case will be set for trial.
- Throughout the process, settlement negotiations may take place. If there is no settlement, the case will proceed to trial.
- At trial, the court will determine issues of liability and, if the defendant is deemed liable, the amount of damages will be determined, which may include lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, property damage, and emotional distress.
The wheels of justice turn slowly at times and clients often wonder why a case is taking so long. It is important to remember that there are a number of steps that go into a personal injury lawsuit and each one must be done accurately in order to adequately protect your rights. Plaintiffs sometimes wonder whether to accept and insurance settlement or proceed with a personal injury lawsuit. Because each case is unique, this is an issue that is best left for you to discuss with a personal injury lawyer. At Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish, our Chicago personal injury lawyers focus on helping accident and injury victims obtain full and fair financial recovery. After undertaking a comprehensive factual investigation and a thorough legal analysis, we will advise you on how to proceed and advocate on your behalf in connection with any legal claims. If you were injured in a personal injury accident or would like more information about what happens in a personal injury lawsuit, contact Steinberg, Goodman & Kalish at (312) 782-1386 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Chicago personal injury lawyers. Steinberg Goodman & Kalish (www.sgklawyers.com) is dedicated to protecting victims and their families. We handle medical malpractice, product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, auto accidents, professional negligence, birth trauma, and railroad law matters. Contact us at(800) 784-0150 or (312) 782-1386.